grants for teachers, supporting Westerville City Schools, innovative programs
The Many Voices: Diverse Classroom Library Project supplied K-12 teachers with books to expand their classroom libraries to promote discussions about racial and social diversity and provide students access to books representative of contemporary families and inclusive of culture, history, and diverse perspectives.
Our vision is to provide teachers with Many Voices Collections in 2021-22 as well. Check back in the Summer of 2021 for more information on applying for a collection.
Diverse collections, in this context, are defined as books with protagonists and experiences that feature underrepresented ethnicities, disabilities, cultural or religious backgrounds, gender nonconformity, or LGBTQIA+ orientations.
4 WAYS TO BRING DIVERSE COLLECTIONS TO YOUR CLASSROOM
1. Apply for a MANY VOICES COLLECTION. Check in Summer 2021 for information.
2. Explore the MANY VOICES RESOURCE LIST. Our team has assembled a fantastic list of books by grade level on a variety of diverse topics and featuring diverse protagonists and perspectives.
3. Check Out Books from the MANY VOICES COLLECTION tagged in the the Westerville Public Library's online catalog.
4. Explore the MANY VOICES COLLECTION online at Birdie Books. If you receive funding for a collection, you can purchase books at Birdie Books. Download this PDF to learn to create an account and keep books in your account for this purpose.
5. Attend the MANY VOICES Workshop on January 21.
This important initiative would not be possible without the hard work of the committee members who are giving their time to ensure that this project is a success:
Want to learn more about the need for Diverse Books? Check out these great organizations and sites.
You make it happen. It costs between $500-800/classroom to provide a diverse library collection. We are seeking corporate partners, grants, individual donors to partner with us to make this a sustainable, annual program in our district. You can give directly to the program or contact Colleen Moidu to discuss ways to partner with us.
Learn about the how the Cultivating Success Fund is making Many Voices and Westerville Schools a priority for their inaugural year! We're honored to have the support of these alums and all our sponsors for this special program.